The Motorcycle Diaries
Script - Dialogue Transcript
Voila! Finally, the The Motorcycle Diaries
script is here for all you quotes spouting fans of the movie directed by Walter Salles and
starring Gael GarcŪa Bernal. This script is a transcript that was painstakingly
transcribed using the screenplay and/or viewings of The Motorcycle Diaries. I'll be eternally
tweaking it, so if you have any corrections, feel free to
drop me a line. You won't
hurt my feelings. Honest.
THIS IS NOT THE TALE OF IMPRESSIVE DEEDS IS A PIECE OF TWO LIVES TAKEN IN A MOMENT
WHEN THEY WERE CRUISING TOGETHER ALONG A GIVEN PATHWITH THE SAME IDENTITY OF ASPIRATIONS AND DREAMS
Ernesto Guevara de la Serna,
The Plan: To travel 8 thousand kilometers in four monthsThe method: ImprovisationObjective: Explore the Latin American continen tthat we only know by books
Good Night Granado
Equipment: "La Poderosa" (The Powerful)A ' Norton that's battered and leaksThe Pilot: Alberto GranadoA chubby friend, 29 years old and biochemist self proclaimed scientific vagabondThe Pilot's dream: crown the trip with he's 30th birthdayCopilot: That would be meErnesto Guevara de la Serna"El Fuser", 23 years old
- Ernesto is going away?- No, Ernesto stays
Ernesto, could you takes us with you, please
Look dad, I'm sorry, but no matter howmany times you tell me...
Please Ernesto, you are only assignmentsaway from your MD title
And that can wait
MD studentLeprosy specialistAmateur Rugby player
Hey Fuser...nice Fuser!
And occasionally, asthmatic
Departure date... January th
The route: from Buenos Aires to Patagoniaand then Chilethen to the north up to thousand metersby the spine of the Andes to Machu PicchuFrom there, to the lepers home of San Pabloin the Peruvian amazoniaFinal Destination: the Peninsula of Guajira in Venezuelaat the north point of the continent
We settle at the Peninsula of Guajira, the point of this great continent
Mouths full of wine, nice music
That beer is good, ah?
- Fuser, on January th, you should be done with all your exams, right?- Yes
- If you want, i can make a detour to Miramar to visit your little girlfriend- "little girlfriend"
A couple of days
- Look Fuser, look at that guy over there- What?
Do you want your life to be like that?
You don't want your life to be like that, Fuser
What you want is to fuck in every country in South America
Hey boy...and in every town if we are lucky enoughThat's and extra ingredient, right
What we had in common: our restlessness, our dreaming spiritand the untiring love for the route
BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINAJanuary th, Km
Let's go Ernestito, we don't have the whole day
- Isn't it too much Granado?- Not enough chief. Norton "this" is a motorcycle
Your son is in good wheels, don't worry
You should expect some difficult times son
But the truth is that i always dreamed of doing something like this
And i have to confess that if i had a couple less years on me...I would jump right along with you on that motorcycle
Try to think that i do it for the both of us
- years planning this trip, uncle- Since you were a kid
Meanwhile...I trust you eh?
And the revolution uncle, for when?
Here? In a century
- Are you already leaving?- Yes, Iím off
You should only worry about taking your medicines, nothing more, ok?
And writing me...
The most beautiful letters you have ever read mom
- Bye, my love- You'll see. Bye. I love you
Bye little sister, take care
Send me postcards
Ok, stop it or Iíll start crying. Please
Take care, ok?
Just like Don Quixote had Rocinante and Saint Martin had his mule
We have "La Poderosa"
- Yeah, that pisses oil- Yes, pisses oil, but what Iím trying to say is thatin this precise moment
The young Fuser and myself are embarking in a tripto the most remote places of the human spirit
where we will meet new lands, listen to new anthems, eat new fruits...
Granado...Iím making you responsible. If something happens to Ernesto Iíll find you.Put on the handkerchief darling
Don't worry mam, he will come back to becomethe doctor we all want him to be
It better be
Ok, is time to leave!
Careful with that bike!
Dear mom...Buenos Aires is behind usbehind is as also the miserable lifethe faculty, the exams and the dissertations that make you sleepyBefore us lies all of Latin AmericaFrom now on we will only trust in "La Poderosa"I wish you could see us. We look like adventurersand inspire admiration and envy everywhere
Go Mial. Assume aerodynamic road position
C'mon baby, don't fail me baby.C'mon, c'mon
What happened Mial?!
I'm glad to have left behind civilization, and be closer to the earth
Wait, something is coming out...something is coming out
Fuser, are you alright?
What happened puppy?
Are you alright?
- What the fuck is that?- What the fuck does it look like?
- A fucking dog?!- Oh fuck, you are a shitty driver...
What the fuck is that dog doing on the bike?
Is for Chichina and his name is Kamba
Pick up the bike.
Miramar, ArgentinaJanuary th, Km
Where the fuck are we? Switzerland?
- Good morning- Good morning
- Chichina?- She's inside with the rest of the family
That bike is giving you problems, uh?
Esteban, please tell us about your trip
It was great Don Horacio,i had the opportunity to take a seminar in Cambridge
and stay a couple of weeks in London,a fascinating city
- What a privilege!- Yes it was
- Esteban is getting his PhD soon, right?- Yes
- Medicine?- No, Law
Is your turn, come
I never saw a pig who wanted to dance, never.
Knock it off!
- With this hand...back...side- What are you laughing at?- I'm laughing at you.
My dad ask aunt Roxanna not to take her eyes off of me
My mom promised the Lady of the Valley that she wouldwalk to her sanctuary if we broke up
And your parents can't see that the more they bury the diamonds,the more decided is the pirate to steal them?
Believe me, this diamond wouldn't mind being stolen
Let me see your bathroom
- Good night- Good night ladies
Aunt Roxanna, which room is mine?
Get away Kamba!
- How many days did you say we were staying here?- You already know- Two
- And how many days have we been here?- If you become a Doctor, will you operate with wire too?- Six days, Fuser
Someone will see us
If you'd stay we could do many things, Ernesto,but only if you'd stay
I didn't like the sound of that
- What do you want me to say? That Iím going to wait for you?- I told you Iím coming back
- Yes, i have the dog as proof- You didn't like it?
What do you want Ernesto, what do you want to hear?That Iím going to wait forever,that Iíll wait for months and months till you come back?
- What's going on?- What do you want? What do you want?
I'd like you to stay like this forever. Quiet.
I want to look at you, cause Iím not goingto see you for a long time
Of course Iím going to wait for you,but please don't take an eternity
- And how long is an eternity?- That's slippery ground mister
I'm not going to touch you
Did i hit you? Did i hurt you? Did i hurt you?That was a trick, a very bad trick
Ok lovebirds...is time to leave.Fuser
Miss Ferreira...Thanks for everything
"I used to listen the bare feet splashing in the ship"And had a feeling of the faces darkened by hunger"My heart was a pendulum between her and the street"I don't know with what strength i freed myself from her eyes,"I broke away from her arms"She was left clouding with tears her anguish"Behind the rain and the glass
- Lorca eh?- No
- Neruda- No
- Who?- I don't remember
- Good bye- Bye
Wait, wait. The snot is...
And so...with Chichina, nothing...
Not even after giving her the German shepherd with pedigree...nothing
I mean, at least you saw a tit...one
Ahhh....You saw her tits, Ernesto
North American Dollars?
- Fifteen- Chichina?- Yes
I like that girl for you, i always said that she was your girlfriend.We will eat better now
- No...- Protein food
No, she gave me this money for when we get to the US.She asked me to buy her some pants.
I told her i would
- What?- Forget about this money. It is out of our budget.
- Fucking moron, he is testing me...- Che are you talking to the bike again
Listen to me man, what is wrong with your head?That chick's got you by the balls.
- Good evening- Hi
Piedra de Ńguila, ArgentinaJanuary th, Km
- How do you feel the bike?- The wire is making wonders, it works great
- Son of a bitch...fuck
Are you alright Fuser?
It was the curve
Son of a...
Look at the pipe...son of a bitch!
Pass the stakes, Iím all out
Wait, wait, don't fuck with me
- You had to choose this place, you idiot...- No you chose this place
Hold that side
- No...fuck- Son of a...
- The river is taking it- Grab it, grab it
It took it
- Che and what if we go there?- We should ask for help over here, with the common people
- Which one are we doing? The broken headlight?- No, Red October. You have the experience right?
What do you want
Maybe our appearance doesn't show it, but we are doctorsfrom Buenos Aires and Cůrdoba, respectively
We are traveling all over the country, doing some researchwith hopes of curing some of the worst diseases of the 20th century
Plagues that not only consume our energy but that alsokeeps Argentina in need
When by just reading the medical literature, you could notice, just as us...
What the fuck do you want, pair of bums?
Look sir, the wind took our tent, we are starvingand we need a place to spend the night
Ok, out there in the shed there's a good ground.You can sleep with the workers
- We are doctors...- Hmm...i like your face a lot, but i don't like yours fatty
- Fine?- Yes, its fine- Thank you.
Dear Mom...we are still hitting the road,but to tell you the truth, the bike is less powerful every day
San MartŪn de los Andes, ArgentinaJanuary st, Km
Money and food are scarce, but we manage to find opportunitiesto eat and sleep for freeThanks to our secret weapon:Alberto's infallible sweet talking
...plagues that not only consume our energy but compromisethe modernization of Argentina
- So, you are doctors- Well, no. Alberto is a biochemist and I am an MD student- He is practically graduated,
we are like doctors
- Then i would appreciate it if you could look at a swelling i have in the neck- Gladly, eh...Mr.?
Does it hurt?
- This is a tumor- What do you mean a tumor?- Yes
- Do you think so- Yes- Allow me
I don't know Fuser, fat sedimentationit could be a cyst
No. It is a tumor in the occipital area
- Schatzie, these gentlemen say i have a tumor- Tumor?
Good morning mam, i sincerely don't believe it is a tumorbut a sebaceous cyst
If you could give us a place where we couldeat and sleep we might be able to treat it
No, no look...we can't treat it. You will have to goto Buenos Aires. I can recommend you a specialist
- Or we could try to help him, don't you think?- Help with what? With the grass, with prayers?
- I understand, you can't do anything for me- Yes we can, if you give us a place where we could eat and sleep.
- Around here there's a lake with lots of fish and a shed- Sir, the diagnostic is very...- We have nothing more to talk about, doctors. Let's go Schatzie
- The next time could you try to help us a little- Of course i can give you a hand, but never at the price of the health of a man
- Ok, let's say that you are right and the old guy has a tumor,how the fuck do you tell him like that?
Is the truth, if he can't handle it he can go to hell
- You can't treat a patient like that, you can't- The guy has a serious problem,the sooner he looks into it the better
That's the proper treatment, didn't they teach you thatat biochemistry school?
Don't talk to me about proper medicine
Nurse. First graduate and then talk.You think you know everything, moron
I'm going to look for food
Duck! duck! duck!. Give me gun, move it! move it!
Son of a...
I hit it, man
- How did you do it?- I can't fucking believe it...
Well, there's no other choice but to get in the waterand pick up dinner, no? Fuser, to the water to get the food!
You are really crazy if you think Iím going to get in there.Do you know how cold is that water?
Yes, i know you are allergic to cold, water, hot and all thatbut you know what, i am older, wiser and i shot the duck, soyou have to go
- That shot came out of your ass, besides i have asthma- Ok, you are right. If you can't Iíll do it
- I didn't say i couldn't- You can't or you don't want to- I didn't say that i couldn't
Or you don't want to and that is the same. Or you could giveme Chichina's fifteen bucks...
...and we eat as God intended, c'mon.
- Look if i get to find that fucking duck, Iíll eat it all by myself- Ah! in the water, in the water, duck.
- I'm going to get my balls frozen- For the use you give them, Fuser...
Good Fuser, good...bring on that duck with potatoes.Is it cold Fuser? Hey! cold? Not over here.
- Are you feeling sick?- No, Iím just perfect
Bariloche Train Station, Argentina days laterKm
Fuser, listen to me. Give me Chichina's fifteen dollars and let'sgo to a hospital like the people
If you say that to me again, Iíll throw up all over you.
Dear mom...what is it that's lost when you cross a border.Each moment seems to be split in twoMelancholy for what was left behind and on theother hand all the enthusiasm at entering new lands
Frias Lake, ArgentinaFebruary th, Km
- Look Mial, Chile- Chile! Viva Chile!
- Is it your first time out of the country?- Yes, of course
You are almost a man, Che
Look Mial, when we are old and tired of traveling, weshould come back and set a clinic on this lake
That's a good idea
Providing attention to everybody, if anyone ever comes
Count on me, brother
Hey, things are getting better Fuser, eh?- Yeah
- Hey, it is snowing- No, is just frost
- Help me- On three, - Done
Go, go, go
- Fuck is cold!- Some summer, uh
Che, you told me we would enter Chile like two conquerors.Not on foot like a pair of losers
If you don't like it, go fuck yourself Ernesto
TEMUCO, CHILEFebruary th, Km
What if we dump this shit that gives us so much trouble
And go on foot through the whole continent, you genius
Yes, we would see more and meet more people...you would lose weight
You sissy, but if with a couple of dollars fromChichina this gets fixed immediately
And again with the same thing. Forget about that money
Ok, perfect. If you get that mad then go all the way to Venezuelawalking and leave me here alone with the boss's money
Know what? I would get there in half the time and stopmeddling with other people business
Fuck you bastard!
"Uy, Ernestito, bring me the little Yankee pantsfrom Miami"
Can't you see that you will never see them on or off?You wanker!
You know what your problem is?
Your fucking honesty.
You should tell a lie from now and then to help us.
- Hold it for a second
- Hey, hey, what are you doing?- Come, Come
- What? Do you have "mate"? Thank you.- It has sugar
- Excuse me, what's your name?- Teresa- Teresa, Ernesto, nice to meet you
- It would be nice as a souvenir, eh?- A souvenir? I'll take back to Argentina
-You are traveling?- Yes we are traveling, we are the owners of that old bike- A the big one over there
- What are these?- This is "malton"
- And This?- These are oysters
Maybe next time ,ok? next time...
Austral Newspaper, pesos,Austral Newspaper, only pesos
Get informed about Chile and the world,for only pesos
Yesterday evening, Temuco was honored by the arrivalof of the most renowned leprosy specialists of Latin America
- Dr. Alberto Granados from Cůrdoba- What do you mean "Granados"- That's what it says
Dr. Alberto Granados from Cůrdoba andDr. Ernesto Guevara de la Serna from Buenos Aires
They have embarked on an epic trip from theirhomeland to the north point of Venezuela
The charismatic adventurer scientists, experts in their field,have treated three thousand patients in all the continent.
They hope to complete their trip in a record time offive months, just in time to celebrate the th birthdayof the youthful Dr. Granados
- It says youthful, eh?- Yes, and so i get informed too.
Do you think it will work?
Hello, good evening
My friend and i have some problems with our bikeThe direction is broken, the brakes are practically goneand the shift box as always...
And my backside is killing me...
Let's see. I can fix the direction, the brakes and the shift box.
But i can't do anything about your backside.
We don't have any money
What? You don't have any money?
When we get to Valparaiso we will receive some money,when we have it we will send it to you...
You know, i wouldn't want to be rude, but if youdon't have any money,you have nothing to do here, so please...
Excuse me the interruption, but if you help us right now you willcontribute to the bilateral relationships between our countries
If i understand correctly, you want me to fix it for free
I think we are not making ourselves clear
besides we can't expect everybody to knowwho's who in the Latin-American medicine field
- Please doctor, come on in- Yes, precisely today there was an articlepublished on the paper...
- Let me see...allow me- Yes of course
- Look Piedad, Tulio look...
- Well the picture is not very good- Yes we are not favorably depicted
Look, is them...
Gentlemen, for me it will be a great honor to fix your bike,once i finish this card game with my wife
Of course, there's no problem
That's the main priority.
Do you know that tonight there's a danceand God willing, all the ladies of the town will be there
Oh, what a shame.
- Could you give me the paper back?- Thanks a lot, you are very kind
- I'll bring the bike over- Please bring it over, we will fix it
Could i have this dance?
You know, i was just thinking about you
And why is that?
You made quite an impression when i met you
- Would you like to dance?- No
I don't dance
My husband fell asleep, he's drunk.I don't have a dance partner
Well, if you teach me, yes?
Hey, you finally remembered that you are a man?
You had forgotten?
It's been a long time since i danced,but is coming back to me, is coming back...
I can't dance here
Would you like to keep dancing?
Wouldn't you prefer to go out
I would love to, yes
- What's going on?- No, we better stay
Let me go!
The Argentinean is leaving with your wife
Let me go!
Sorry, sorry...Iím sorry
Argentinean mother fucker!!
Aren't you tired?
- Don't you want to switch?- No
Are you sure?
I can't Stop, I can't stop!
The brakes don't work
- Are you ok?- Perfect, what do you want me to tell you Fuser?
Is he your father?
Hey, that cow is going blind
...for the shit it's going to see
Los Angeles, ChileFebruary th, Km
We are days behind
Wait wait wait wait
There's a rumor that the Chilean women are the mostdaring in all the continent
Well, the rumors have no scientific support Dr. Granado.We have to make a field test
You didn't like them, really?
Here they come
- Excuse us, the place is packed...
- Can we sit with you?- Yes, of course- Thanks
- How are you?...Ernesto- He is Alberto
- Miss?- JazmŪn
- Nice to meet you- Nice to meet you
- So are you Argentineans?- How did you know?
I don't know...the accent,because you say "Che", i don't know
- Had you noticed that Che? i hadn't- No me neither
- Do you know what day is today?- February th
February th...we are going to seem like liars,but it has been a year...
A year? A year since when?
- A year since we started this trip- That's nice
- Damn, one year and we don't have one cent to celebrate- Wouldn't you like us to invite you a bottle of wine?
- Wine?- Yes...
Lucho, bring a bottle of wine to our Argentinean visitors thathave made such an effort
But ladies, please don't takes this the wrong way,but i can't drink wine
- But why, why can't you drink a little wine to celebrate?- Exactly...
- Well there is an old tradition in Argentina that...- Please c'mon, don't...- What?
- I think they deserve and explanation- Is adequate, yes
Thanks Lucho...Well, there is a long costume in Argentinathat doesn't allow us to drink with empty stomachs
And since we don't have any money at the moment, we can'tbuy food and we must reject your generous offer
Please, don't be like that...wait.Lucho, could you bring us some empanadas
- Do you like Chilean empanadas?- I have never tried them
- four, eight?- They are really hungry. Twelve.
I've always liked that number
- I would really like to stay here- Too bad we don't have a place to stay,but we can sleep at the plaza
Hey, but my father loves Argentineans.I think he can help you
He is the chief of the fire department,so he knows a lot of people
Wait, are you sisters?
Yes, of course, you hadn't noticed? Look...
They hadn't noticed.
- The mechanic doesn't come back until tomorrow,but the bike can stay here
- Thanks a lot
Guys, let me introduce you to two Argentinean volunteersthat will be staying here with you
- Let me introduce you to Dr. Che Skinny and Dr. Che Fatty- Nice to meet you
- Hey, would you like to see more of the town?- Yes
- But...- Don't worry sir
- Excuse me...- Yes?
I wouldn't like to bother you, but are you really doctors?
- No- Yes- No
I'm a biochemist
- Could you visit a lady that is sick- Yes, when you tell me...
Could it be right now, cause she is really sick.It's been a very long time since she saw a doctor
Ok, let me pick up my things and we will go.
Is nice to be faithful to the Hippocratic oath, Fuser
Look at my eyes
I'm going to touch your neck a little
Has she eaten?
I don't know
Look, DoŮa Rosa, Iím going to leave you these pills
Take one with each meal
And one before bedtime.
This will help you feel better
Dear mom...I knew i wouldn't be able to help that poor womanThat up to a month ago she had been servingtables, panting like meTrying to live with dignityIn those dying eyes, there was a humblerequest for excusesAnd a desperate plea of consolationthat gets lost in the emptinessJust as her body will get lost very soonin the magnitude of the mystery that surrounds us
Fuser, you still haven't asked me how was thefield test with the Chilean sisters
You know how i fear that you might becomethe new sexual ambassador of Argentina
Are you the two lazy asses that travelon that piece of crap
Her name is "La Poderosa"
It was. But now we could name it The Dead One, The Paraplegic
Oh yeah, why?
What do you mean why? Because Iímthe mechanic, what else
If you sell it per pound, you might obtain something,but that piece of crap arrived dead here, really
I'll be missing you Negra
I'll take these, let's go
What do we do? Should we go on?
Yes, we go on.You only reach once in a lifetime
You are really somethingErnesto Guevara de la Serna
- If we change the dollars...- No, don't even think about it
We arrived at Valparaiso
"I love Valparaiso. How much you encompassand how much you irradiate bride of the ocean"
"Even far away from your deaf halo..."
- Federico GarcŪa Lorca- No- No, it's Neruda
ValparaŪso, ChileMarch th, Km
- From Chichina!- Chichina, and the money?
- Should i open it?- Yes open it
I leave you alone love bird
How do i love you Celia de la Serna!
What's going on?
- Che, are you ready?- Me?- Yes you
- Of course- Let's go
Right away sir
Atacama Desert, ChileMarch Km
You know what, my plan was a lot better
You are so fucking proud, at least answer me
Do you want to go back?
Go ahead...I'll get to the mine and then Iíll tell you what it looks like
Are you suggesting that i won't make it to the mine?
If you can little doctor asthma, i can do it too
Oh, you want to win?
- Good evening, how are you?- What's your name?
- Ernesto- Nice to meet you
Yes, that's it, that's were we are from
We didn't have much, just a dry and difficult land
It belonged to his grandparents
It was ours, until a landlord arrived and kicked us out
- And that is what they call progress- We had to leave our son with the family and travel to find job
- Trying to escape from the police that wanted to catch us- Why?
Because we are communists
We are going to the mine. If we are lucky Iíll find a job.
Apparently they are so dangerous that theydon't care what party you belong to
Are you looking for a job?
No, we are not.
No? And then why are you traveling?
Bless you, blessed be your travels
- Some "mate"- Thanks
Those eyes had a dark and tragic expressionThey told us about some friends that had disappearedunder mysterious circumstancesAnd that apparently ended up in somepart on the bottom of the oceanThat was one of the coldest nights of my lifeBut meeting them made me feel closer to human kind.Strange, so strange to me
You...you tooYou, the next one
Move it, guys, move it
Chuquicamata Mine, ChileMarch th, Km
Move it, guys, move it
Get in the truck. The rest go to your homes.Out
You two, what are doing here?
Nothing, we are looking
Looking at what, this is not a tourist attraction. Out
Can't you see that these people are thirsty.Give them some water damn it.
I will call security so they will arrest you
Oh yeah. Why?
Invasion of property. This is the property of theAnaconda Mining Company
Son of a bitch
When we left the mine, we felt reality was changing...or were we the ones changingGoing deeper and deeper into the mountain rangewe found more nativesthat don't even have a roof in what used to be their own landFinally we entered PeruThanks to a truck driver half blind, FelixI almost forgot...Today is Alberto's th birthdaybut not in Venezuela, as he had envisionedWe were so tired, momthat we couldn't even celebrate
This is humanly impossible
Finally we arrived to the heart of America...Cuzco
Cuzco, PeruApril Km
After entering the city, we met Don NestorA very wise man, momthat ended up as our official guide
I was wondering Sir, which one of this walls is Inca?
This one should be the Inca wall, and that one is Spanish
We, as a joke, call this one the Inca walland that one the wall of the Incapables, those werethe Spanish
Cuzco was the capital of the Incas, butwhen the Spanish came they destroyed everything,and named Lima as the new capital
- Lima?- Yes
- This is The Plaza?- Yes
She says that she has never been to a school becauseshe has always been near the cattle, that's why she doesn'tknow how to speak Castilian only Quechua
I think that before, there was enough money for everything,but now there's little money and there are no jobs
That is affecting us more and more
Since i was little i have worked with craftsand that's how i keep on level...regular
With both hands, with both hands
With both hands, Nestor
When i was working, the owner cameand he threw me out of the land
Once i was producing all the productshe threw me out
He threw you out? How? Did he call the police?
Yes, he brought the police.He is a powerful man, he has a lot of money
- He wanted me to leave the land- Yes, once it was producing
Yes, it was producing wheat, corn, potatoes, beans...and i was meant to keep a part of it
But i won't stay behind, i have to keep moving forward.Working, looking for money to educate my children
- How many kids do you have?- I have five kids
- Have you joined with other farmers of the area?- Yes, in the community we are organized, we help each other
We help each other, together
Machu Picchu, PeruApril th, Km
Let's see how you behave Fuser, eh?That's it, that's it
The Incas had a high knowledge of astronomy, medicine,math, among othersBut the Spanish invaders had powderHow would America be today if things had been different?
Fuser, look what i think. I should marry with an Inca descendantand found an indigenous party
We encourage everyone to vote
Reactivate Tupac Amaru's revolution,the indoamerican revolution, FuserWhat do you think?
A revolution without gunshots?You are crazy Mial
How is it possible that i feel nostalgia for a world i never knewHow do you explain that a civilization capable of building thisis wiped out to build......this
Lima, PeruMay th, Km
- I know this is not the one- No?
Mercaderes let's ask
Mercaderes? blocks that way, then turn right and or blocks more
- This one has to be Mercaderes- That one too
- Hey, is this one Mercaderes? - Yes- And that one too? -Yes
Count from down there...from down there are ..What?
Can i help you with something?
This is the one from Mariategui...and you should also read Cesar Vallejo
The best part of Lima, mom, was Dr. Hugo PesceThe chief of the program for the treatment of leprosy in PeruAlberto had contacted him before starting the journeyHe fed us, gave us cloth, money and some very good ideasMariategui talks about the revolutionary potential of thenatives and farmers of Latin AmericaHe says that the native main problem is the landand that the revolution will not be a copybut a heroic creation of our people
" ESSAYS OF INTERPRETATION OF THE PERUVIAN REALITY"
"We are too few to be divided", he saysEverything unites usnothing keeps us apart...
Here's the main group of patients
Pesce let us stay at the guide Hospital, were theytreat patients in the first stage of the diseaseThe ones with more serious conditions are sent to San Pablo'sLeperís center in the Amazon
- Zoraida, this is Alberto, Ernesto- How are you?- Nice to meet you
Well, i think we know each other well enoughso i will allow myself to tell you something
I look into your eyes, Ernesto, Alberto, and i seea great idealism, but also a lot of doubts
That's why Iím glad that you are going to San Pablo
I think you will find something important there
Important for you
Thanks a lot
- Ok, if you excuse me, i will show you something, ok?- Another surprise? How many surprises!
- What is he bringing, little on?- A book
- A book, uh?- Eat everything Tito, eh?
This is the great love of my life...
...after her of course
It's my novel
"The Stillness of Silence"
I hope you give me the honor of reading it
- Of course, of course- The honor is ours
You can tell me what you think after
- Yes, of course. Can i open it?- Yes, yes
- Who dares read it first?
- Both of us- Besides he reads faster than i do, really.
- ...that's the boat, "La Cenepa" Pucallpa, PeruMay th, Km
In five more days you'll be in San Pablo
Teacher, thanks a lot for everything, for your kindness,for the tickets, the cloths, for everything. It's been an honor
Don't worry about anything
Thanks Doctor, thanks a lot
Don't you think you are forgetting something?You've said nothing about my novel
- The novel, Fuser- Did you read it?- Of course-So?
What can i say? I can sincerely tell you thatno one can tell a story like you
It has taken a lot of effort
- And what do you think Ernesto?- He is fascinated!
If he is fascinated, i would rather to hear it from him
Look Doctor, I feel that your book is a little beaten
I think there are many common places...
- Well, that is not that bad- No
Basically is poorly written and that makes it hard to read
It's a very good try doctor, but i think you shouldfocus on what you know best
I'm sorry, teacher. You asked for my opinionand Iím giving it to you
Wao son! No one had been so blunt with me.You have been the only one. The only one
- Ok, i won't delay you any more, go on.- Thanks
Good bye and...eternally grateful and forgive me.
- Have you seen a bag that was over there?- No
- It is brown and small- If i see it Iíll let you know
What is wrong with him?
Ask for help! Ask for help!
Pass me that pillow
Be calm, Fuser
Be calm, Iím going to give you the adrenalin
Fuser... easy, easy...
I came to thank you personally for thehelp you offer to my friend and i. Thanks
Don't worry, your friend got really sick
- Yes he did- He gave me quite a scare
And i, thanks a lot, Miss.
- You know, a minute ago i saw a "bufeo" around- Bufeo?
Well a river dolphin, but we call them "bufeo"
Have you ever seen one?
No, never. I heard it, but didn't see it
- I'm going to tell you a secret- Me?
The bufeo's genitals look like a woman'sand the natives use it to relieve themselves
But there's a little problem, when they are donethey have to kill the animal, because the suffercontractions so strong that don't let them get out
Miss, no offense but can i ask you something?
What brings you to these inhospitable waters?
I work on the boat, I come and go between Pucallpa and Leticia.I'm from Pucallpa, you know?
- Pucallpenian?- Pucallpian
- Do you know it?- It is full of beautiful women, but you are the best
- Thanks- You are welcome
And how do you pay for your ticket?
I give the captain part of what i make
But...how do you earn the money?Miss...
Let's just say that, if we go to your room, Iíll show you
My name is Luz, in case you want toknow who you make business with
Lucecita, for a night with you i wouldgive a pile of gold as big as the Aconcagua
But, darling i don't have a single coin
Well, then my friend, you'll have to excuse me
- But i have to go earn a living- Are you going to leave me like this
I need the fifteen dollars, Fuser
Her name is Luz and she told me a story about afish that the natives fuck and she gave me a little kiss
I already spent them
C'mon Fuser, don't fuck with me. We crossed thedesert together, we almost died of starvation and cold,the accident
- My needs have higher priority than Chichina's pants- I don't have them anymore
I gave them to the mining couple
- Court her
- Fuck you Fuser
The house wins gentlemen.
Mr. Lloyd retires
- Good night- Good night
Make your bets gentlemen
- soles- soles
- sol- sol? What?
This is for men, not for school kids
I didn't know that in Peru you measured a man balls in soles
Ok, ok, let's play.Cards gentlemen
- Card?- One
- Sir?- Nothing
- Young man?- One
- Card- Of course
Gentlemen, the house pays.
Sir? I'm sorryGentleman?Thanks
You young man?
- How much did you bet?- sol
The first one
- Ok, gentlemen, your bets- soles
- I want to see your bets. Your bet sir?- soles
Gentlemen, again, Blackjack!
- How much do i owe you?-
- paid- Thanks, yes sir. I will retire now. I think is veryclear who has more balls in this table. Excuse me gentlemen
Son of a bitch. Now that we are millionaireswe will eat better
Precisely, look at the mouthful Iím about to eat
- What a night, we are very lucky- How are you? Ernesto... Luz- Hi
- Luz- At your service
Burning light that blinds my dreamsNow hold on tight for what is coming for you
- Ah, Neruda?- No, Granado
San Pablo, PeruJune th, Km
Are you Bresciani?
How are you guys? How was the trip?
- Long but good- A little long
No the other way
- Nice to meet you. Bresciani- Nice to meet you
Dr. Pesce has talked very enthusiastically about youso, welcome to San Pablo
By the way, i have a letter from Dr. Pesce for youdo you want it now?
No, no, there'll be time for that
Well, since we are here i can show you something
The Amazon divides the colony in two
The south part is where we keep the patients.Here, in the north part is were the staff, the doctors and nurses live.And a couple of nuns that are very efficient
This is your room
The beds are a little hard, but that is good for your spine
You can see the hospital from here
Over thereAnd that's the laboratory
Doctor, let me introduce you to our Argentinean volunteers
Alberto, i understand you havesome experience in baciloscopy
- That's right- I believe he could help us in the lab, why don'tyou take him with you
Ernesto, you are going to help me in the hospital
Here we have the more serious cases,we transfer them from the south area
- Georgina- Hello doctor
- And do you make the operations on this side too?- Yes, on that side we have an operating room
She is Silvia, daughter of one of our patientsand a very good nurse
- How is he?- He's better, doctor
- Then keep administering the same treatment- Yes
- Doctor, then how many patients live in the south area?- Almost six hundred
- All of them Peruvian?- No, most of them yes, but there are some fromColombia, Venezuela and other countries of South America
I suggest you use these gloves. It's true thatleprosy under treatment is not contagious
but the nuns are very strict about this
- If it's not contagious, then this is purely symbolic- Yes, but Iím telling you so you don't make mortal enemies over there
- Well, you'll have to forgive us but we are not going to use them- Yes, thanks doctor
Don't say i didn't warn you
Take out the boxes.Come this way
- Good evening- Good evening
- Good evening. Welcome to San Pablo- Thanks- You are very kind
- Papa Carlito, at your service- Nemesio Reyna
- Ernesto Guevara- I'm Alberto Granado, a pleasure to meet you
Nice to meet you
Doctor, didn't you explain the rules to them?
Nice to meet you
- Don Nemesio, nice to meet you
Papa Carlito is the head of the community.They are Argentineans doctors
Nice meeting you, bye
They are real gentlemen
Dr. Bresciani, this gentlemen arrive and thinkthey can behave as they want?
Mother San Alberto, this gentlemen have goodmedical experience in Cordoba and Buenos Aires
That doesn't give them the right to behavelike this and break the rules
I suggest we leave this conversation for later, ok?
Thanks Mother, you are very understanding
She is the Mother Superior
This is the dinning hall.
The nuns make lunch on Sundays,but only for those that come to mass
The sad thing is that most of San Pablo's patients are herebecause they have been abandoned by their familiesor thrown out of their jobs
That's why they try to adapt to their new lifebuilding their own houses, seeding, caring for animals
- Doctor, good morning- How is Silvia?
- She doesn't want to go to surgery- Thanks doctor, Iíll go see her
Silvia is a patient a little rebellious and if we don'toperate her ulna, she risks loosing her arm
She's very young
Can i come inside to talk to her
Can i sit?
Does your arm hurt?
What is wrong with you?
I was born with bad lungs
What a shame
No, is not that bad. Thanks to thati skipped the military service
I didn't have to shine anyone boots
Is that why you became a doctor?Because you are sick?
Is possible.The first word i learned was injection
I want to be useful in some way
- You are wasting your time- Why?
This life is hell
Yes, it's really fucked up, but we have tofight for every breath and tell Death to fuck off
Hey Fuser, Bresciani is going to write me a recommendationfor an internship in Cabo Blanco's Hospital, in CaracasWhat do you think?
Nice?What's going on Fuser?
- Did you see the river?- Yes
It keeps away the sick from the healthy
That's it...Just a quick...
Are you ok?
It's ok, it's ok. Look at me
That's it. The nerve is coming out
I have four siblings, Celia, Ana MariaRoberto and Juan Martin
And they are the ones i miss the most actually.And also my mom
You have to tell us these things with time
- Have you been playing soccer lately?- Not lately
For the next time, please wear some snickersand invite me
North team!Mark that one there!!
Get out of there
Mark that...Out, out
What happened? What happened?They scored you one fatty!!
Get out of here!
Sister, why you don't give us food?
The rules of Mother San Alberto are very clear,we only serve to those who go to Holy Mass
- What is it?- They won't give us food because we didn't go to mass
- Says who?- San Alberto
- Mother- Yes?
- We want to eat- We deserve to eat like everyone else
- Yes but you didn't go to mass- No
Then, how do you expect to feed the bodyif you didn't feed the soul first
- Denying food is not very Christian-like- Yes, i doubt Jesus would act like this
In this house we have a set of rulesthat have to be followed
- I haven't read any rule book- Neither did i. I think that if find it i would eat it
Did you steal it?
- Yes- Thanks
- Did you took it from San Alberto?- Yes
- Is it deep?- Yes
- Do you want some "mate"?- No thanks
Great!Great, isn't it?
- Should i accept?- What do you want to do?
Maybe is time to settle down
Yes, have a stable job, a girlfriend...
Get a belly
And you? Are you going back to finish school?
I don't know. If i find a way to getback to Buenos Aires, yes
You're going to be next week, Fuser
I should be thinking on something, right?
San Pablo, PeruJune th,
The Mother dances well, uh?I like the way she dances
No, I don't dance
- It's good uh?It's really good
Listen, this is the tango thatChichina's uncle played in Miramar
- Ah yes, i like it- You see- Yes, yes
- Do you know how to dance it?- This one's a little faster,
But you know how to dance it.And there's a lady very interested in dancing with you
- Should i ask her?- The bird in the stories flies and never returns
Do you want to dance?
- Do you know how to dance?- Yes
Is just that this version is faster
Did you think it was a tango?
Mambo, mambo, mambo
Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday, Ernesto, Happy birthday to you!
Make three wishes Fuser
Friends, one moment please...
I believe this is a great opportunity to let Ernestoand Alberto know, how grateful we are
Not just for having gotten here, but also for theircommitment and enthusiasm to the patients of San Pabloduring the three weeks you have spent here
For that reason, we have prepareda little surprise
Tomorrow you will receive a raft tocontinue your journey
and we will name it,suggested by this night, The "Mambo Tango"
Thanks a lot
Well...I feel obligated to thank this toast with somethingmore than a conventional gesture
But given the poor conditions in which we travel...the only affectionate resource that we have is the word
And is by using it, that i want to thank you all,all the staff of the colony
You, that give us this magnificent display of affectionby celebrating my birthday as you would celebrate one of yourselves
And since we will leave Peru tomorrow, thiswords also serve as a goodbye
in which i want to put all my effort to givea recognition to the people of this country
that uninterruptedly have overwhelmed us withnice gestures since we arrived
And i would like to highlight something more,a little off topic of this toast
But don't worry, i won't dance
Although our meager personalities prevent usfrom being spokesmen of your cause
We believe, even more after this journey, that theseparation of America in false and uncertain nationalities
is completely fictitious
We are a single mixed race, from Mexicoto the Strait of Magellan
So, trying to free myself from anynationality load
I raise a toast for Peru and for America united
What's up with you?
Do you know where the boat is?
No, i don't see it
I'm going to celebrate my birthday on the other side
Yes, of course, tomorrow when we find the boatyou will celebrate your birthday on the other side
- No, now- No you won't
- My birthday is today not tomorrow- I know Fuser but...are you crazy
You can't cross the river at night with allthose animals that can eat you raw
Mial, how many times in this journey did we thoughtit was the end and look, here we are
- This time is different Fuser-Why?
Because this time i won't be around to help you.There's no way Iím getting in the river
You will always be with me Mial, come
Hey, come here you bastard mother fucker, come back here.Think of me, your mom is going to kill me
Fuser, come back here.Ernesto! Listen!
Son of a bitch
Ernesto come back!Son of a bitch
Come back here!
- What's going on?- This crazy mother fucker wants to swim across the river
- What?- Please tell me that someone has cross this river
No, no one in all the years Iíve been here
Ernesto, come back damn it!
- Hey kid, listen to your friend!- No he won't listen
- Come here kid!- Come back Ernesto
- What's going on?- Something is moving
The current is getting stronger
- What's going on?- That moron that is swimming across the river. Come back, Ernesto
- Is that Ernesto?- He is swimming this way
There he is
- He's tired- You can do it Ernesto!
There he is
Come one. Come on. Come on.Ernesto!!
He made it?!Son of a bitch, he made it!
He made it! He made it!
I always knew he would make it
Son of a bitch
I'm going to miss you. Take care, ok?
- Papa Carlito is very sad- Take care
- Good luck- We will miss you
Thanks for everything
- Take care, ok- You too
Take care kids
- Good bye Mauro- We will always remember you
Near Leticia, ColombiaJune nd, Km
Caracas, VenezuelaJuly th, Km
You know, i had memorized a speech filled withanecdotes, and i can't remember a fucking thing
- That happens- Yeah
You still have the chance to come andwork with me in Cabo Blanco, eh?
You can graduate and Iíll wait for you
I don't know
I don't know
Look Mial, all this time we spent on the route, something happened
something that i have to think about long and hard
So much injustice, eh?
Come on, the plane is leaving!
Wait, wait. This could be useful
You kept it
I'm off now
I'll write you, ok?
I have to tell you something important.
My birthday is not on April nd, it is on August th.I told you only to motivate you
- I knew- You knew? Son of a bitch
See you friend!
This is not the tale of impressive deedsIs a piece of two lives taken in a momentwhen they were cruising together along a given pathWith identity of aspirations and a conjunction of dreamsWas our vision too narrow, too partial, too rushed?Were our conclusions too rigid?Maybe......but that aimless roaming through our enormous Americahas changed me more than i thoughtI.....am not myself anymoreAt least, Iím not the same inside
Eight years passed before the two ofthem would meet again
In Granado accepted an invitation to moveto Cuba to work as a researcher.
The invitation came from his old friend Fuser,that at the time was known as Commander Che Guevara,one of the few influential and charismaticleaders of the Cuban Revolution.
Ernesto Che Guevara fought for his ideals in Congoand Bolivia, where he was captured by the Regulation Army and,with the consent of the CIA, was assassinated in October of
Alberto Granado, always faithful to his friend Fuser,remained in Cuba, where he founded the "School ofMedicine of Santiago". Today he lives in Havanawith his wife Delia, his three sons and grandsons.