Voila! Finally, the Ronin
script is here for all you quotes spouting fans of the movie written under
a pseudonym by David Mamet starring Robert De Niro, Jean Reno, etc. This script is a transcript that was painstakingly
transcribed using the screenplay and/or viewings of Ronin. I know, I know, I still need to get the cast names in there and I'll be eternally
tweaking it, so if you have any corrections, feel free to
drop me a line. You won't
hurt my feelings. Honest.
Une bière, s'il vous plaìt.
(French) We are closed.
Just a small drink.
The toilets ?
(French) A quick drink and then l'll leave.
(lrish accent) Why are you rushing off ?
- Hmm ? - l said, why are you rushing off ?
(French) l don't understand.
The man from Bristol called ya.
- What man ? - The man in the wheelchair.
(vehicle pulls up)
What were you doing back here ?
..l never walk into a place l don't know how to walk out of.
Then why would you get into that van ?
You know the reason.
Make yourselves at home.
You've come a long way.
- Thanks for coming. - What's the job ?
There's some people who have something we require.
- And we want you to get it from them. - lt involves shooting ?
You must be tired.
We'll tell you more tomorrow.
Seven fat years and seven lean years.
- That's what it says in the Bible. - You ever kill anybody ?
l hurt somebody's feelings once.
Don't l know you ?
l don't think so. l'd remember.
Okay, two-hour shifts.
l'll watch the front, you guys watch the back.
You awake, then ?
How we doin' ?
You labour or management ?
lf l was management, l wouldn't have given you a cigarette.
l am the tour guide. Over there is the Eiffel Tower.
Over here, the Louvre. Over there, les toilettes.
What do l call you ?
- My name is Vincent. - Sam.
As per the agreement, your salary will be $ a week...
..with a minimum of four weeks' work.
On the successful completion of the mission,...
..you will each receive a bonus of $ .
And by the way, my name is Deirdre.
- The broad outlines of the mission are... - Who are your principals ?
For you, there's no one but myself.
And what can we infer from your charming lrish lilt ?
- Anything you like. - Where's the equipment ?
Tell me what you need, make a list, and give it to Vincent.
- Some of the equipment's quite technical. - lf it's in Paris, l'll find it.
This is what we're after.
We need to take it intact from several men who'll be intent on preventing us.
- How many men ? - You American ?
l think the group will be between five and eight. No more than eight.
- You don't know for sure ? - Not now but l will know before the event.
lf you don't know, why say between five and eight ?
There's two to three cars. The group's travellin'.
- They're not in Paris ? - No.
Where are they ?
- You'll find out soon enough. - What's in the case ?
Our plan, in broad strokes, is an ambush.
lt's to hit the car, to take them in transit.
- Transit ? City ? Country ? - Right now, as l said, l don't know.
But we've to move very quickly.
We'll start with this: Ambush and assault on two to three vehicles,...
..five to eight men, and our objective is the safe retrieval of this case.
Tell Vincent what it is you'll need.
What do we know about them ? Are they French ? Who are they ?
All you need to know right now is that they're very unpleasant.
- You've done this kind of thing before ? - You know...
How difficult can it be ?
We have no idea how these men will be armed ?
lt seems they'll be very well armed, indeed.
Where are we going and how are we getting back from there ?
lt'll be in France, and the group will disband at the RV point.
- (French) What does she mean ? - After that, we're on our own.
- lt's a military term. - That's right.
Larry, tell Vincent what you'll need.
Something very fast. Audi S- . Something that can shove.
l'm going to have it for you by the afternoon.
l'll also need a nitrous system. l've got the specs.
What do you use, weapons-wise ?
- Hmm ? - Weapons.
- l'm a... l'm a weapons man. - Weapons man.
- Yeah. - Okay.
They tend to settle the argument. So what do you favour ?
Well, you know. lt's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job.
You know, l actually favour the old .
. . Old gun.
lt served my country well. A long time.
Your country !
Not done too well, have you, last few wars ?
Perhaps not, but at least we don't go around whining about it.
You ex-military ?
No, l got my job through the New York Times.
- (French) Don't let him get you down. - lt don't mean nothin' to me.
l say what l think.
Are you ex-military ?
Boys at Hereford ?
l'm sorry, but l'd like to go backwards. The line of retreat is...
She just told you. We meet back at the RV, disband.
l understand. l'm just trying to get a vague notion of the opposition.
We're gonna cause some animosity. How many will be coming after us ?
- You worried about your own skin ? - Yeah, l am.
lt covers my body.
All your concerns will be addressed before we leave.
- Electronics and commo. - Not more than three cars ?
That is our information.
- Can you get me a simulator ? - What's a simulator ?
Gunpowder. Sound only, no lead. Sounds like a pistol.
Listen, l'm also gonna need some bigger injection jets.
The Bosch is not gonna do it. They have to be custom-made.
We going north ? We going south ?
l'd like some new clothes.
- Vincent will sort you out. - l'll take care of it.
- So what brought you here ? - A fella that doesn't work so well.
The man in the wheelchair ?
How did he get there ?
That was in your neck of the woods, back in the late unpleasantness.
They die hard.
- lnterrogation. - What ?
- Methods to withstand interrogation. - You've done that ?
We were taught to hold out indefinitely.
- Nobody can hold out indefinitely. - Ah, is that so ?
Everybody has a limit. l spent some time in interrogation... once.
- They make it hard on you ? - They don't make it easy.
Yeah, it was unpleasant. l held out as long as l could.
All the stuff they tried.
You just can't hold out for ever.
- lmpossible. - How'd they finally get to you ?
- They gave me a grasshopper. - What's a grasshopper ?
That's two part gin, two part brandy, one part crème de menthe...
Fuckin' smartass !
- Can you find this place ? - Of course.
l know it.
That's where they wanna do the exchange.
You're gonna exchange for cash ?
- You know these people ? - My people know them.
Your people have done business with them before ?
Or these people just gave your people a number ?
Okay. lf we're gonna do it, let's do the goddamn thing right.
- Hey ! - l'm busy.
Okay, come on. Let's go.
The answers to your questions l'll know when l get back.
- l'll go with you. - Go with them.
Who does this girl work for ?
Well, she works for our betters.
lt seems that's what we're meant to know.
Always a waiting game.
- What ? - lt's a waiting game.
Hey, wait. Would you not do that, please ?
Bad for the night vision, yeah ?
There they are.
- You have the list ? - Yes, l have it.
Give it to me.
Okay. You follow my lead.
Just make sure you watch my back.
(French) Don't make any sudden moves.
Just because we're buying guns doesn't mean we didn't bring any.
Don't worry. Everything's fine.
You want to back him up ?
What would l profit from your death ?
- Well, you'd have the money. - l have the money already.
l'll watch the back.
- (French) Have you got it all ? - Oui.
- You're sure ? - Ofcourse. Come and see.
There it is !
lt's not all here.
- Vincent. - What ?
lt's not all here.
- C'est tout ? - Ah, non, non, non.
Le patron va contr^oler l'argent. Vous aurez le reste de la marchandise.
Tiens. ll est là dans la voiture, avec le patron.
He said the rest is in the other car. The boss wants to check the money.
(French) lfhe agrees, we have no problem.
Here, take the car keys.
Go on. Take them.
Come on. Come.
Okay, give me... Give me some of the money.
Give me some of the money !
- Okay. - You aren't going in there ?
- Yeah, l am, and so are you. - Why am l going in there ?
- Why ? To protect me. - There is no protection there.
lf it's a come-on, we're fish in a barrel. Why do they want you in there ?
- What are you, crazy ? - You know, you think too hard.
Nobody ever told me that before. But l wouldn't go in there.
- What is it, Sam ? - l don't like it. Look at it.
Okay, let's just do it. Let's just do it and be done, yeah ?
You don't wanna go in there.
- l'm getting paid to go. lt's that simple. - Okay, come on. Let's go.
lf anything goes down, get next to one of those guys.
lf there's a sniper, he'll be afraid to shoot his own guy.
- Let's go ! - All right.
(French) Stay where you are.
So, everything's fine.
Shit ! l can't see ! l can't see !
Have some of this !
Fuckin' arsehole !
- Fuckin' have some more, you bastards ! - (siren)
Come on ! Come on !
- (gunfire continues) - Let's go !
- No ! You goddamn... - Come on ! Let's go !
- ls anybody hurt ? - We're fine.
Almost a bit of raspberry jam back there, yeah ?
A bit of raspberry jam back there !
Got the swag, kept the money. Job well done.
That's a fact. That is a fact.
Slow down. Slow down.
l think l have to stop.
Why did you take this job ?
My friend, l need the money.
(French) The money is here.
That's what this is, you know ? Money.
Yeah, but who are our employers ?
(Tannoy announcement in French)
Excuse me, monsieur.
(lrish accent) The Russians are bidding for the case.
The case is in Nice. They're trying to sell it to the Russians.
They're staying at the Villa Belle Mer in Nice.
- The team isn't ready. - Whatever the team is, you do it now.
The Russians have decided to bid. We need to move now.
l have the information. We'll be movin' very soon.
lt'll definitely be in the nature of an ambush...
..somewhere between here and here.
We'll anticipate a three-car convoy with a backup team.
We will try and stop the target before they can get away from us.
- What's in the case ? - That information isn't necessary.
ls it heavy ? ls it explosive ?
ls it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist ?
- Are we gonna have to chop it off ? - All right.
l don't have to let you know...
Then the price has got to go up.
l'll get you the case, but the price has gotta go up.
lf it's gonna be amateur night, l want $ . l want it up front.
l want it in a bank account. l want another $ when you get the case.
We've got shooters here, shooters here.
l'll tell you an old trick.
- What's your problem ? - Draw it again.
Draw it again. You're the ace field man. Draw it again.
lt's a simple diagram. Just draw it again. Draw what you saw.
Draw it again ! Draw it again.
Two shooters. Car comes through here.
Shooters across from each other, kill each other dead.
- Oh, my. Where'd you learn that ? - ln a regiment.
- What regiment was that ? - The nd Special Air Service.
What's the colour of the boathouse at Hereford ?
What's the colour of the boathouse at Hereford ?
- l don't like your attitude. - What's the colour of the boathouse...
- Fuck off ! - What's... You got the gun. l'm unarmed.
Do something. Go ahead. Do something. Do something.
Tell me about an ambush ? Don't tell me about an ambush !
l ambushed you with a cup of coffee.
You'll get your money when we get the case.
- The others, too. - That is what l understood.
Come on. We've gotten the word. We're movin'.
Put this near the front.
Careful ! Careful with that !
So what colour is the boathouse at Hereford ?
How the fuck should l know ?
This'll complete your compensation.
Thanks for your time. Feel free to leave when we're gone.
Do l need to suggest that you forget us ?
Because we will not forget.
- Morning. - l see you're reviewin' our problem.
Well, either you're part of the problem, part of the solution,...
- ..or you're just part of the landscape. - lndeed.
What's in the case ?
Something we're paying ya for.
- You and the girl are in front of the hotel. - The name's Deirdre.
Deirdre. Wait outside the hotel for the target.
He leaves the hotel for the villa, the villa for the hotel.
He activates his cellphone.
How do you know he's gonna use his cellphone ?
- He'll use a phone. - How do you know ?
- l'm gonna call him on it. - How do you know he'll have it with him ?
He's waitin' for a call.
His people will call him to tell him the location of the meet.
- Okay ? - Okay.
The villa, the hotel, the car, the stop light, to guys.
How good's their... How good's their security ?
- l can't tell you. - Well, let's find out. Where are they ?
The last report, they were at the hotel.
- The case is at the hotel ? - We presume that it is.
- That's interesting. - Why don't we do it now ?
- lt's tempting. - lt's a good plan. Let's stick to the plan.
Everybody wants to go to the party. Nobody wants to stay and clean up.
- Please. - The only thing is that the map...
..the map is not the territory.
Let's go look at the ground.
Bring some money. We're gonna do a little shopping.
You're my wife. Be who you wanna look like.
lt's just a game. Just a game.
Man and a woman going for a walk.
Piece of cake. Relax. Relax, darling.
You look good cleaned up.
ls that the hotel ?
Put your arm under mine. Put your arm under mine.
Why aren't they at the villa ? Why are they down here ?
Fun and games ? Pretty girls and beer or what ?
(indistinct chattering in French)
(French) Can l help you, sir ?
No. We're looking at the menu.
Uh, excuse me ? Do you speak English ?
Could you take a picture of me and my wife ?
lt's very easy. You press like that.
- Sure. - Like that. That's it. Focus like that.
We're gonna do it over here.
Can you get that palm tree in ? We wanna show we're on the Riviera.
- How many do you want ? - Just snap away.
Very good. Again.
Again. Get the background.
Take a couple of my wife, alone.
(French) Take my luggage up right away.
Can we take one picture of you with my wife ? One picture with you ?
Well, they're good.
Guy goes for the case, other guy's protecting the principal.
Nobody panics. They're good.
- So what have we learned ? - Can it be done ?
lt can be done. We should have two more men.
- We don't have two more men. - Go to your handler.
- There is no handler. - Let me go.
There's no handler. There's only me.
Listen, you want the case, we're gonna need some more men.
There's no more help, there's no more men. Are you afraid ?
Of course l'm afraid. You think l'm reluctant because l'm happy ?
We've made a good plan, and we're gonna stick with it.
What do we do ?
- (French) So, who are they ? - Our employers.
(knocking on door)
- Qui est là ? - lt's me.
They've gone back to the villa.
- Did they have the case with them ? - They did.
- Did you get the other cars ? - Got 'em.
- And how do they run ? - They'll do fine.
Well, what does that mean ?
lt would be nice to do something.
We are doing something. We're sitting here, waiting.
lt's not gonna happen today.
The buyers are out of town.
Tomorrow at the earliest.
You know what ? The hell with 'em. Let's go put 'em to bed.
- We've got the report. - lf l take the report, l got nothing else.
l can go see for myself. They at the villa ?
l'm gonna go take one last run over the route and tuck 'em in.
l'll come with ya.
So how did you get started in this business ?
A wealthy scoundrel seduced and betrayed me.
Same with me. How 'bout that ?
Take out the map. Take out the map. lf anybody looks, we're...
So who are those guys inside ?
You tell me.
Ex-military, Northern Sov Block, somebody or other.
- They need a job. That's my excuse. - ls it ?
- (beeping) - System activated.
- (tapping keyboard) - System check.
Repeat system check.
There he is. He's being good. He's activated his phone.
l'm in position.
- They're passin' me now. - Target is on the way.
Hell of a time to be workin'.
What do you want for Christmas ?
My two front teeth.
May your wish be granted.
Target is metres from the traffic light.
Come on ! Come on !
So far so good. Target on the right road.
Sam, escort car.
- Four tenths of a click in front of you. - Got it.
Larry, you should see them in... four seconds.
l got 'em.
Target has escaped. l repeat, target has gotten away.
Target heading for Vieux Nice.
Through the market, then straight.
Right at the fork, Maréchal Foch.
Okay, you're in front of him.
- Cut him off at the end of the port. - Roger that. l got it.
He's coming from the right.
- l'm hit ! Take the case ! - Up the other end !
- Get the fucking case ! - Get the car up the other end !
Take this !
Get out of here ! l'll see you at the safe house !
Hey ! Get rid of the case ! Get rid of the case !
- Where is Gregor ? - Gregor fucked us.
(choir singing in French)
(knocking, door opening)
- How is it out there ? - A lot of heat. A lot of heat.
- How you feeling ? - Okay.
- Thanks for before. - Don't mention it.
Could you clean the paint off this ?
- You got a pack of Camels in there ? - No, you smoke too much.
(French) We must get out ofhere.
l'm gonna need your people to help us.
- And l need you to find the case. - All right, call your guy.
When we bring in the case, he'll help you.
- How can l bring him the case ? - Well, Gregor has it.
- Why ? - l presume to sell it to the Russians.
Why the Russians ? Why not you ?
lf we had the money to buy the case,...
..we wouldn't have hired you to steal it, would we ?
- Go to your people. Talk to them. - You want the case ?
We find Gregor, we find the case.
- How do we find Gregor ? - How'd you find him in the first place ?
l found him through your friend, the cripple,...
..who gave me nothin' but a bunch of fucking lames !
You and Spence and the whole sorry lot of you !
We can find him through his cellphone.
Can we trace his cellphone ?
They can triangulate it, if we had that equipment.
Who has that equipment ?
Who has that equipment ?
Who has it ?
All right. All right.
Give me the number to his phone.
So, how does the day find you ?
How do they say it in French ? En pleine forme.
This was supposed to be a social occasion.
- Life is uncertain. - lt is indeed.
But, Gregor, we have so much history together,...
..l was sure you wouldn't mind.
- Besides, the world these days is so... - Unsafe ?
l'll show you how unsafe it is.
(children laughing, chattering)
See that little girl down there ?
Have you lost your mind ? Why did you do that ?
To make a point.
l don't know her, but l was ready to blow her brains out.
But you, l don't particularly like you.
Just imagine what l'll do to you if you try anything. Now give me my money.
Put down the gun.
- l never liked you either, Gregor. - Where did that come from ?
l should have made you strip.
- Now where's my package ? - lt's right behind you.
(female vocalist singing in French)
(Russian) Clever girl.
You liked it ?
My little sun.
You make me so happy.
ls it done ?
lt's done, Mikhi.
(woman) Natacha ?
Gregor ? ls that you, Gregor ?
Much to your disappointment, no doubt.
lt was a mistake. lt should not have happened.
Well, if it happens again, l'll turn around and sell it to the lrish.
- Don't do that. - Then don't make me.
My price just went up °/ .
l want the package, Gregor. What do l have to do to get it ?
Just wait for my next phone call.
l'll find a place where l can tilt the field in my favour.
Excuse me. Excuse me. Excuse me.
Could you tell me how to find a post office ?
Do... Do l know you ? l'm sorry. Do l know you ?
How did you know l speak English ?
You got an English newspaper.
- l'm sorry. l beg your pardon. - lt's all right.
Uh, what do you need a post office for ?
'Cause over here, they use them for different things.
l need your help.
- l thought you left. - l did leave.
- You did leave ? You're out ? - That's right.
Can you help me ? l need your help.
What's the number ?
Yeah, the post office is, uh, just down to your left.
- Up on the left ? Thanks. - On the left.
- A friend of yours ? - We went to high school together.
Everyone's your brother until the rent comes due.
Ain't that the truth !
(French) Yes. Yes, on the terrace ?
Facing me ? l see him.
Yes, l'll get him. Hang on, please.
Excuse me, sir. Are you Sam ?
Telephone for you.
Yeah, good to see you, too.
lf his position changes, l'll let you know.
Gregor's in a town called Arles.
He's at the arena.
(woman) So this is the amphitheatre of Arles...
..which was built at the end of the first century AD.
lt is built with limestone.
l know those men.
(woman) And you can see this dominant yellow colour...
..which is actually caused essentially by a lantern.
We're not sure that the walls were actually yellow.
And so, now we will continue...
..and visit the Roman baths down this way.
(tour guide speaking French)
(Gregor) Thank you, gentlemen. That'll do nicely.
lt's Sergi. l remember you.
(Russian accent) Yes, Gregor, it's me.
- How have you been ? - Well. These are trying times.
- l'm sorry about the unfortunate incident. - Oh, yeah.
lt was excessive. And more to the point, it was foolish.
l couldn't agree with you more.
Mikhi did it without consulting me.
Yeah, he's turned rogue and can't be controlled, is that it ?
Excusez-moi. Je cherche la vieille maison de Van Gogh.
- l don't... l don't... - Oh, English.
Sorry. Such a fool.
l was looking for Van Gogh's old house.
So what could have been conducted in a collegial atmosphere...
..is now fucked into a cocked hat.
- What do you think ? - (Sergi) l think we'll meet your price.
Yeah. Yes, so let's see it. Let's see it now.
Where do you have it, in your belt ?
- Let's see it ! - Show me the case first.
You're great in the locker room, and your reflexes might die hard,...
..but you're weak when you put your spikes on.
- Gregor ? Are you all right ? - Gregor's fine.
But l think you're in a wee spot of trouble.
- Where is it ? Where is it ? - l don't have it with me.
l mailed it to myself. A post-office box in Paris.
Help ! He's robbing me !
(Vincent) Pardon. Pardon.
Pardon. Avancez !
- Where do l know you from ? - Vienna.
Of course. l'm sorry to have to do this.
- Christ. - Drive.
Stop ! Descends ! Vite ! Descends !
- l'm gonna have to take care of this. - What do you want to do ?
Uh, get to a doctor or a veterinarian's office.
l'll just boost what l need.
- Could you do that ? - Of course. l can do better.
- How is it ? - l'm leakin'.
That girl sold us out.
She sold us out.
- (French) Ready, Jean-Pierre ? - Everything's ready.
Get my legs up.
Are you sure you can do this ?
Yeah. l once removed a guy's appendix with a grapefruit spoon.
- Have a drink. - No booze. No.
Easy, easy, easy.
lt's just below the surface.
All right, let's do it. Just douse it with alcohol.
(opens bottle, liquid pouring)
Take the gauze and wipe away as much of the blood as you can.
Keep it clean so l can see it.
Yeah. That's it.
All right. What we're gonna do is routine.
l've done this many times before.
There are no vital organs, arteries. lt's okay.
You won't kill me. Just make sure you get the bullet...
- ..before you pry it out. - All right.
Take that scalpel.
The upper part.
Over here. Just cut up there.
Just a little cut.
Okay. Got it.
Now take the clamp.
Take the clamp and open up... the hole.
Just put it in there.
Put it in there.
That's it. Put it in. Just...
Now open it up. Spread it. Spread it.
Now get the other... Get the other clamps and get the bullet.
Remember, don't take it out unless you really got it.
Do it again. Do it again. Just try once more.
- (panting) - l'm sorry.
When he pulls it out, put the gauze in. There's gonna be a lot of blood.
Put the gauze there.
Fucker sprayed his bullet with Teflon.
He was trying to stamp me ''paid in full''.
- ls that why it went through the vest ? - Yeah.
You think you can stitch me up on your own ?
lf you don't mind, l'm gonna pass out.
You gonna kill me ?
No. l'm not gonna kill ya.
Why would l want to kill ya ?
- l gave you a job. - l did my job.
So how'd it go wrong ?
l thought you wanted the case.
Oh, we'll get the case.
We'll get the case, eh, Gregor ?
Don't you worry about the case.
What l want's an explanation.
An explanation ? For what ?
You bollixed it up.
- l bollixed it up ? - You hired him.
Through your fucking contact !
- You didn't do your homework. - Why did you have to kill Larry ?
Oh, Larry, is it ?
l was clearing up your mess.
My mess ? Oh, well, you take over, then.
- Eh ? - But you can't, can you ?
lt's you that's hiding, isn't it, Seamus ?
lt's you that can't show your face.
Who else thinks that ? Who you been talking to ?
lsn't that the reason why l'm doing this job ?
You're a good girl, Deirdre.
Do your job, eh ?
(French) He's tough, your Yank.
You're right about that.
But who is he ?
That's not important.
Didn't he work for the ClA ?
He used to.
Not anymore ?
He's on the run.
You're sure ?
l know what he can do. l've seen him.
Why would he carve himselfup ifhe were still ClA ?
He makes a call and it's taken care of.
And you ? How are you ?
We need some information. We need to find some people in Paris.
An lrish man and woman,...
..a German, an ex-KGB.
They're in hiding.
This is really important to you ?
He saved my life.
l'll find them for you.
Where's the case ?
lt will come tomorrow. l'm sure.
Well, l'm sure it will, too. Let's go.
Let's hope so, for your sake, anyway.
Are you feeling better ?
Yeah, enough to move around. Thanks.
One grows old.
l knew a lot of fellas, friends of mine,...
..they just wanted to live to open a bar.
Had they lived, would they have done it ?
- Then they were spared their disillusion. - Yeah, that's right.
Who were these people ? Friends of yours ?
- l wouldn't hurt a friend. - Was that my question ?
Well, who are you ?
A fella like you, trying to make it to retirement.
At the end of the day, we're likely to be punished for our kindnesses.
You don't have to worry about me. l won't hurt you.
The ronin, do you know it ?
samurai whose master was betrayed and killed by another lord.
They became ronin, masterless samurai,...
..disgraced by another man's treachery.
For three years they plotted, pretending to be thieves,...
..mercenaries, even madmen.
That l didn't have time to do.
And then one night they struck, slipping into the castle...
..of their lord's betrayer, killing him.
Nice. l like that. My kind of job.
There's something more.
All of them committed seppuku,...
..ritual suicide, in the courtyard of the castle.
Well, that l don't like so much.
- But you understand it ? - What do you mean, l understand it ?
The warrior code, the delight in the battle. You understand that, yes ?
But also something more.
You understand there is something outside yourself...
..that has to be served.
And when that need is gone,...
..when belief has died, what are you ?
A man without a master.
Right now l'm a man without a pay cheque.
The ronin could have hired themselves to new masters.
They could have fought for themselves.
But they chose honour. They chose myth.
They chose wrong.
Seppu... Seppu... what ?
The sword goes in here.
(Sam) Are you sure this address is good ?
(Vincent) Jean-Pierre gave it to me.
Under the bridge by the river...
How did you know it was an ambush ?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
That's the first thing they teach you.
Who taught you ?
l don't remember. That's the second thing they teach you.
All good things come to those who wait.
- Why is Gregor still alive ? - He's taking them to the package.
How ya doin' ?
What are you... What are you gonna do to me ?
Let's just be calm for one more moment. One more moment.
Why ? Why ?
You know why.
No. You don't wanna do that.
Get back !
Get in the fucking car !
Why didn't you shoot her ?
Take the tunnel, now !
(Deirdre) Oh, Christ !
Eh, merde !
Come on ! Come on !
All right, you fuck !
(shouting in French)
(Vincent) Where could he be ?
- Where could he be ? - Hmm.
The lrish and the Russians are looking for him. So where does he go ?
He goes to the Russians to make the deal for the case.
Gregor ain't comin' in unless he can figure out a safe exchange.
He knows they'll kill him for the case rather than pay him for it.
He's got to work it out soon before the lrish find him.
So where does he go ?
You go to what you know.
He's KGB. He goes to one of his old safe houses.
No, they're all blown.
Where does he go ?
So, you're on the run. Where do you go ?
Where's he been ? Where's he been ? Where's he been ? Where's he been ?
(chattering in French)
He made the fake case.
He had the fake case made.
Gregor. He had it made.
He had to have had it made.
ln Paris, before we went to Nice.
He didn't have time to have it made.
He bought something that looked like it, then spray-painted it.
Where did he get the spray ? He never left the room.
Where did he get the case ?
(Vincent) Excusez-moi, monsieur.
lt's a case for ice skates.
Why ice skates ?
And why would Gregor know an ice-skate case ?
He didn't have time to have it made.
He didn't have time to have it made. The Russians made it.
The Russians made it.
We're following the wrong people.
We don't have to find Gregor.
We find the Russians, they will take us to him.
(Russian) You've lived in Paris a long time. You know the people.
- l get around. - You meet the new Russians.
You know how it is. Ex-spies. Now it's Mafia.
Under diplomatic cover.
(French) Heavy hitters, gamblers, lots ofmoney, big cars.
(Russian) They live like tsars. Throw money away.
Fur hats are expensive.
- And bodyguards. - Expensive coats, Dr Zhivago.
l have a lot of work, no time.
All right. Let's go.
(French) lt will be fine.
The guy is gonna reach out.
ls he any good ?
Jean-Pierre says if it's Russian and it's in Paris...
(French) lfl wanted to find Russians in Paris this week,...
..l'd go to the ice show.
- Bonsoir, Pierre. - Bonsoir.
Je vais payer pour votre soeur.
Oh, merci beaucoup, Mademoiselle Kirilova.
(French) l'll trade you a cigarette for a favour.
The favour is, steer clear ofthose guys.
Who ? The Russians ?
They sure throw their money around.
- ça va ? - Salut.
- Bonsoir. - Ah, bonsoir.
The Russian is seeing Natacha Kirilova, the star of the ice show.
He spends every evening in the audience.
How did you find that out ?
We went to high school together.
(Russian) Mikhi, is everything all right ?
Everything is fine.
Go. Go on.
(PA system in French) Ladies and gentlemen !
We are veryproud to present...
..two-time Olympic champion and three-time World champion,...
..Natacha Kirilova !
(Russian) Wait out here.
Yes, he is.
- The meeting is not till later tonight. - The meeting's now.
You have the money ?
Well, we were going to go back to get it before the meet.
l don't think so.
You have the money ?
l might have the money. Where is the case ?
No, you have to do it. l couldn't live with myself.
l have the money.
We conclude this now and part friends.
Where is the case ?
l'd like to be paid now.
Now tell me the other part.
The other part ?
l'm taking my fee and l'm leaving.
l have a person with a rifle in the stadium.
l've worked with her for years. She never misses.
l will call.
l have to call within seconds...
..to say that l'm leaving,...
..and then in another minutes to say that l'm safe.
Should l be unable to call, your friend will be shot.
- (French) We need to get inside. - You can'tpass without badges.
(French) There were two ofthem.
They were looking for those guys.
Just a minute, sir !
(camera shutters clicking)
(French) l am a Chilean citizen, as you can see from mypassport.
- Mama ! - Shh, shh, shh.
Qu'est-ce qui se passe ?
Stay with him.
Get out of here. Get out of here !
Get out of the car. Walk away. Walk away !
Walk away ! Go. Go.
- l will if you will. - Just go.
Come with me. Forget about the case.
l didn't come for the case. l came for your boss.
l came for Seamus. l came for him.
Just get out of here. l never left. Don't you see ?
Get out of the way ! Get out of the way !
Get out of the way !
(French) This way is blocked.
l can take you in or leave you here.
There. That's him with the case.
(French) Sir ! Over here, please.
Wait ! Wait !
(French) There are more back there !
(Seamus) Stay where you are ! Stay where you are !
Don't move ! Shut your fuckin' mouth up ! Shut your mouth !
You stupid shite.
- You're a dead man. - (gunfire)
(radio) This is the BBC World Service.
lt was announced today, after almost years...
..ofbloody and seemingly intractable civil conflict in Northern lreland,...
..that a peace agreement has been reached between...
..the predominantly Protestant government ofthat British-ruled enclave,...
- ..and the lrish resistance... - (overlapping radio reports)
..have told CNN that it was the apprehension and slaying...
..in France ofthe lrish terrorist Seamus O'Rourke, byparties still unknown,...
..that contributed a stability, largely allowing...
..the negotiations to proceed to their historic conclusion today.
O'Rourke had earlier been denounced by the lRA,...
..the military wing ofSinn Fein, as a rogue breakaway operative.
Well, then, good knowin' ya.
- l'm sorry ? - You said something.
l said she would not be coming back here.
Yeah. She would not be coming back here, would she ?
l can't even put my hand in my pocket to pay the bill.
l'll get it.
l'll get the next one.
What was in the case ?
l don't remember.
Lesson number two.
Keep in touch.
(Vincent) No questions, no answers.
That's the business we're in.
You accept it and move on.
Maybe that's lesson number three.